I am leaving
Fakebook Facebook. Not just deactivating, a full-on delete. Yes this is very possible.
What I will miss about FB…
1. Having instant updates on hundreds of people that I know
2. Seeing happy faces and exciting adventures
3. Being able to reconnect with people that I haven’t seen in years
What I will definitely NOT miss about FB…
1. The ever changing layout and weird issues with privacy
2. Oversharing and TMI moments
3. GAME REQUESTS AND UPDATES
4. The true depravity of human nature…when we are behind a screen, we somehow become “bolder” and it’s not always a positive thing…
5. How your life can seem so small and uninteresting in comparison to those around you, even though you know people only share what they want others to see
6. The time vortex that is the sign in screen. Seriously you can lose HOURS here
8. Not really connecting to those hundreds of people that I know and maybe not seen in years
9. Knowing deep down that we really know nothing about the lives of the majority of the lives of the people on our friend list, but somehow feeling like we do know because of what’s posted on their page.
10. Realizing that our world is not really that big, and there is no way that we can nurture a friendship base of over 400 people… it just doesn’t happen. Our life scope is much smaller than that.
11. Not being creative and not really adding to the lives of others through the platform… At the end of the day once we sign out, the life we have suspended in the wings resumes without much inclusion of whatever happened online (save for making in-person events and people you talk to off facebook on a regular basis)
12. How it makes us lazy to really connect with people to create meaningful
and trusting relationships.
13. How it helps us perpetuate a world without true etiquette and manners
14. How it allows us to remain in our past and wallow in our previous pains, which ultimately makes it super hard to learn how to overcome and move on.
15. How it has helped us perpetuate a world where not much is sacred and special because everything is ordinary and is shared with everyone
16. How it stunts our maturity in learning how to deal with disappointment, confrontation, conflict, failures, and success
17. How we slowly move away from being true memory keepers
18. How the experience has convinced us that printed photos aren’t necessary (ridiculous, right)
Facebook is not evil and I don’t hate it (all the time lol).
In fact, I think it is an ingenious invention. It has just gone awry. All of the reasons that I dislike FB are things that I saw rising up in myself, and I didn’t like it. I don’t think my experience is unique. Not everyone experiences this or is prone to it; however, the majority speaks to the former.
SO, I am taking a risk. I am challenging the status quo to do something that is not in line with what is normal or popular. I am stepping away. Letting the chips fall where they may, and I am running for my life to have true joy, peace, and community. I know I won’t be perfect at it. I’m actually pretty nervous about how to even really begin to build this. The only thing on my side outside of God, is that I remember a life before facebook. I know the possibilities.
I am ready to live a life where technology truly enhances my life rather than stunting it.
Would you like to come too? You may not really need to and you may have only experienced the first three great truths about facebook, That is awesome and I wish that were my reality too. There is no judgement in that. “To thine own self be true.” If you do come on this journey, know that results may vary. There is a direct correlation of sowing and reaping.
https://www.facebook.com/help/delete_account?rdrhc. This is a personal choice…Of course let your friends know you are heading out if you do, but otherwise it’s about you and what’s best for your life. After you do this, you have 15 days to change your mind before everything is deleted. It’s a 15 day fasting period and if you log into your account during this time you start the clock over. I’ll definitely let you know when that clock starts for me since my profile will still be active, but I won’t be responding.
For all of us… Love the people in your life with all you’ve got. Be present. Be still. Really listen. Enjoy your BEST life today :).
HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY – here’s to breaking codependency with the web.